While talking about photography and camera, a very positive quote that crosses my mind is the one by the famous German portrait and documentary photographer August Sander: “In photography, there are no shadows that cannot be illuminated.” Photography is a passion that teaches us to see the world from a whole new point of view. So whether you are a newbie or a professional in this field, there is no boundary that you can ever meet in this magical realm and the wand to explore the magic is nothing but cameras. From the time the camera was invented, it has been developed continually, making photography an art. And for art, an artist must choose the best brush that suits his needs. Therefore, the question remains in mind, “Which Camera should I Buy?” What are the best DSLR Cameras in India?
DSLR cameras are undoubtedly the most famous cameras in India right now and are used by both professionals and amateurs. But buying just any camera may not satisfy your needs. Many DSLR cameras are specially designed for different photography passions like wild-life, nature, etc. Again, for a newbie, spending bucks behind some pro-level cameras will be unjustifiable since starting with a beginner camera will be a great deal, both financially and logically. This can also happen to a professional if he makes the wrong choice.
So, picking one DSLR camera and tagging it as the BEST will not be ethical. Therefore, we can pick some best budget DSLR cameras in India that you will love for sure. In this article we have chosen 7 best DSLR cameras and also discussed some important points that you must consider before buying a DSLR camera.
Editor's Picks: 4 of the Top DSLR Camera Brands In IndiaTable could not be displayed.
7 Best DSLR Cameras In India Reviewed
1. Nikon D850 DSLR Camera
The first in our choice list is the Nikon D850. This model from Nikon can be considered as an all-rounder model while compared to any other available DSLR models in the market. Loved by professionals, this model can be used almost in any photography genre. You can shoot bigger images by reducing the slightest noise.
- Sensors: Nikon D850 offers you a high-resolution 45.7MP FX BSI sensor with a pixel size of 4.35µ and a native ISO sensitivity range of 64-25,600.
- Image Quality: With such a resolution, you can easily capture the moments efficiently with the slightest noise. With the base ISO of 64, you can not only get a cleaner image with a slightly more dynamic range but it is useful for many things such as achieving a slower shutter speed or faster aperture in bright light. With this camera, you can take full advantage of 4K recording with such high-resolution sensors. This camera can shoot up to 30fps in 4K and up to 60fps in HD.
- High-shutter Speed: The shutter speed of the camera is also excellent. While capturing an image with such speed, it creates quite a stable platform. It has a handheld shutter speed up to 1/10 second without relying on Nikon’s lens-based vibration reduction (VR).
- Features: This camera is packed with several exciting features. It offers an un-cropped 4K video recording, focus peaking, and stunning dynamic range when using the “Flat” Picture Control. The camera is also able to shoot slow-motion HD video. You also get illumination in buttons which is quite alluring.
- Build Quality & Battery: It has a superb build quality. It has a robust magnesium alloy with carbon fiber chassis that provides excellent durability and weather resistance. The handling is very good. It comes with a more efficient EN-EL15a battery that extends the battery life of the camera to 1,840 shots.
- Premium build quality
- Image output is excellent
- Minimal shutter lag
- A big battery life
- Great handling
- 30 min video clip limit
2. Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
The second in our list comes Nikon D7500. You can be a fan of D500 but can’t afford it, then this is your choice. It borrows a lot from Nikon's APS-C flagship D500 including its 20.9MP sensor and image processor.
- Sensors: This camera offers you a 20.9MP CMOS sensor with a pixel size of 4.22µ and a native ISO sensitivity range of 100-51,200.
- Image Quality: This camera provides you with very good image quality. Even in lowlight or during night time when you have to shoot in high ISO setting, it manages it all very well. Capturing night time photos is a hard job to consider. Many low-end sensor cameras provide you with photos that are either grainy or too dark. But, Nikon D7500 clears that hurdle for you very easily. This camera can shoot 4K UHD videos which look very sharp and elegant.
- Features: The camera has an LCD touchscreen display which allows easy handling for those who are comfortable using smartphones. You also get zebra stripes for videography. It has 51-point AF and 15 cross-type AF points. The auto white balance system is pretty good. It can shoot 8 frames per second in burst mode.
- Build Quality: This camera has an excellent build quality. It has a deep handgrip which when combined with the soft-texture coatings on the front and rear of the grip. This ensures that the D7500 feels secure and comfortable in the hand. Most important thing is that this camera, like the discontinued D7200, is weather-proof. There is a dedicated ISO button on the top plate as we can see on the D500.
- Excellent image quality
- Dedicated ISO button
- Good battery life
- Zebra stripes for videography have been provided
- Great deal while compared to other available options
- Doesn’t show remaining space on the screen
3. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera
Third in our list comes the very famous model from Canon, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. The high-resolution sensor 5D Mark IV is one of the most recommended cameras if you are a commercial photographer. This is not particularly designed for high-speed photography, although wedding photography or portrait would be a better choice for this camera.
- Sensors: This camera offers you a 30.4 megapixel CMOS sensor and it uses the Digic 6+ processor. You can see the AF system is from the flagship 1D X Mark II and contains 61 AF points. The native sensitivity range runs from ISO 100-32,000 and is expandable to 50-102,400.
- Image Quality: With such a high-resolution sensor and updated image processor, you can expect to have an excellent image quality with this camera. The new Dual Pixel RAW function utilizes the image sensor’s dual photodiode construction. It allows the sensor to pick up two separate signals from each photodiode pair and detect phase differences between the two signals. You can also record 4K videos with this camera. Although you must note that you can’t record 4K clips to an external drive via HDMI out.
- Features: In this camera, you get features like high resolution for still pictures, 4K video recording, top-rate autofocusing, a good continuous shooting speed along with touch-screen monitor controls, interesting innovations like the Dual Pixel RAW functions and up-to-date image processor. It has built-in WIFI, NFC, GPS support.
- Build Quality: The build quality and handling of the camera is quite impressive, You would find an LCD with new touchscreen controls which can be adjusted manually. It comes with better weather-sealing which satisfies us as the question of durability comes.
- Excellent build quality
- Commendable image output
- Dual Pixel AF system support
- Low shutter lag
- Accurate and bright viewfinder
- Low light AF is a little bit disappointing
4. Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera
The fourth in our list is nothing but the successor of Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera. This camera is the best suit for beginners. This camera is one of the first APS-C sensor-powered DSLRs to use a Dual Pixel sensor.
- Resolution: This camera comes with a new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor. It offers Dual Pixel on-sensor phase-detection autofocus system. This camera also has a new 45-point hybrid AF system.
- Image Quality: With such sensors, this camera has been able to produce excellent image quality. The 24MP sensor on the camera produces detailed, beautiful photographs that will be enough for any reasonable print sizes. You can get clear noise-free JPEG images from ISO 100 up to ISO 1600. The improvement of Canon in noise performance is certainly praiseworthy. The dynamic range of 80D at ISO 100 results in 12.6 EV, but it drops below 12 EV when ISO is doubled. But it stays above 800 when ISO is up to 400. Video is another major part of this model. Although it can not shoot 4K, it offers you 1080/60p capture and continuous autofocus during video.
- Build Quality: The design of 80D is very much identical to its predecessor. It comes with a seal against dust and moisture. It has a polycarbonate exterior and magnesium alloy chassis. The majority of the controls can be controlled from the rear touchscreen as well as via physical control points.
- Good LCD screen
- Battery backup is very efficient
- Easy to use
- All the 45 AF points are cross-type
- Strong build quality
- There is no 4K video support
5. Canon EOS 1500D DSLR Camera
Canon EOS 1500D is the 5th in our suggestion list. This camera is their latest ‘four-digit’ beginner level camera which you can count on if you are a beginner. It follows the same design as 1300D. In the market which is becoming dominated by smartphone cameras, 1500D is a very great deal for people who want to take photography more seriously.
- Sensors: The biggest pro in this camera is its resolution. It offers you a 24.1MP APS-C sensor with an 18-55mm lens which can produce a very detailed image. This camera also comes with Digi 4+ image processor. You also get a native ISO range of 100-6400.
- Image Quality: Due to the 24MP high-resolution sensor, the image quality is pretty good. The noise level at ISO 800 is noiseless and pretty much acceptable. The ISO can go up to 6400 but you can see significant grains while going above ISO level 1600.
With this camera, you can shoot videos at Full HD (1920X1080) at a maximum of 25fps. This can go up to 50fps while you set the resolution to 1280X720. This is more or less a good camera for novice filmmakers.
- Build Quality: The external design of 1500D is similar to 1300D. The button positions are more or less the same in both the devices. 1500D has the same screen size, overall dimensions and the ergonomic design is very comfortable to handle single-handedly. Most of the buttons have been placed on the right side of the camera.
- Extra Features: You get in-built WIFI and NFC support with this device. You can easily connect to your smartphone or pc via wifi. It becomes very handy for those who upload images directly on websites or social media platforms.
- Great image quality
- Comes under budget
- Easy to use
- No touchscreen support
6. Nikon D5600 DX DSLR Camera
The next in our list and the 6th suggestion is Nikon D5600 which is the brand’s new upper-entry level camera. This comes packed with many interesting and alluring features that you will love for sure.
- Sensors: Nikon D5600 comes with 24 megapixels CMOS sensor with a pixel size of 3.92µ. The sensor size is 23.5×15.6mm. With this, you get an EXPEED 4 image processor which works pretty good. The base ISO range is 100-25600.
- Image Quality: The image quality of D5600 is pretty amazing. You will not get disappointed with such image quality. The ISO performance is very good. The result is amazing when you click photos with even ISO 1600. The video quality is also quite impressive. Although you can’t shoot 4K videos with this device, you can shoot videos at a maximum resolution of 1920×1080 (HD) up to 60fps.
- Build Quality: The build quality of D5600 is pretty awesome. It is very easy to hold. The LCD is unarguable of better quality. It is large and sharp. Although, you get fewer button options in this camera as compared to the high-end cameras. The carbon fiber composite body feels very sturdy.
- Extra Features: In this camera, you get an in-built Bluetooth along with NFC support. You also get a touchscreen LCD along with this DSLR.
- Excellent image quality
- Very well built as compared to other entry-level cameras
- Impressive battery life
- No built-in Wi-Fi support
7. NIKON D500 DSLR Camera
The last in our list is NIKON D500 which was released on January 6th, 2016. This camera has been praised by almost everyone because of the features that it offers. With a fast effective autofocus system and better picture quality with 10fps shooting speed and a better white balance system, this is a dream camera for those who are passionate about Wildlife and Sports photography.
- Sensors: D500 offers you a 20.7 megapixels APS-C “DX” format CMOS sensor with a pixel size of 4.2μ and a native ISO range of 100 – 51,200, which can be expandable up to ISO 1,640,000. You also get an EXPEED 5 image processor along with this camera.
- Image Quality: The image that this camera provides, will satisfy you. The majority of images are well-exposed. The all-new 180k-pixel RGB metering module is of very high resolution compared to the older cameras. The performance is also very good in low light using its native ISO. With a good 153-point AF system, fast continuous shooting performance and 4K UHD video recording, D500 is the most suitable for wildlife photography.
- Build Quality: This camera doesn’t have a full metal body like D5 but its metal chassis is more durable than that of the old D300S. This camera feels very solid. It has a decent grip with a textured coating with a thumb rest as a ridge on the back. You also get a mini-joystick controller for selecting the AF point quickly. The D500 has a 3.2-inch 2,359,000-dot touchscreen. The buttons are placed at very good points that can easily be controlled. The design of this camera feels very premium.
- Extra Features: With Nikon’s Snapbridge feature you can easily connect with various devices as D500 comes with built-in wifi, NFC and Bluetooth support. This camera is also compatible with the optional WT-7A, enabling transmission of files to an FTP server or computer at speeds of up to 866.7 Mbps.
- Excellent image quality
- Very good ISO performance
- Low shutter lag
- Impressive battery life
Things You Need To Consider Before Buying A DSLR Camera In India
Before you buy a DSLR you must always consider certain points as no second person can have the same need. So, you must see whether the camera you want to buy satisfies your needs.
- Sensor Size: The most important point is the sensor size and the size of each photosite on it. This is very important as the larger the photosite’s surface area is, the more light it can capture, and the more information it can record.
- Megapixel Resolution: A good megapixel resolution camera can provide you with better image quality. So, the larger the resolution is, the more pixels you get on your picture. It results in a larger picture printing size.
- Lenses: Most of the entry-mid level cameras are packed with “kit-lens” which is around 18–55mm zoom lenses. Various lenses suit various photography areas. So, pick yours carefully.
- Build Quality: Build quality of a camera is one of the most important points that you must consider before buying. You have to be comfortable with your camera’s ergonomics, It results in a better handling and comfortable photography experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Which is the best DSLR camera for beginners?
Different DSLRs suit different photography areas. So there is no specific suggestion that we can tag as the best. However, we suggest going for Canon EOS 1500D.
Q. Which one is better, Canon or Nikon?
Nikon has better entry-level DSLRs. But you can shoot better quality videos on Canon because of its smooth autofocus. Chalk-out your needs and then choose one.
Q. Is a DSLR camera still worth buying?
If you want to step into the world of photography seriously, then yes!
Q. How do I choose a better DSLR camera?
Always consider the aforementioned points while buying your DSLR. Chalk out your photography area and then buy one.
Q. Which camera is best for photography?
It depends on your budget. Different cameras come in different budget levels considering their features. So, your budget decides the best camera.
Q. Is a DSLR better than an iPhone?
No, the iPhone can capture better because of its small sensors.
Q. Which DSLR is the best for personal use?
You can choose Nikon D7500 for personal use.
Q. Which is the best budget DSLR?
If you’re a beginner then Canon EOS 80D will be a better choice for you which comes under 30K. Or you can go for Nikon D5600 which comes under 50K in India.
A Final Word
Buying a camera is more than just buying something- it is making a dream come true. As I said earlier, cameras teach us to see the world from a whole new point of view. So, choosing the right camera is as important as writing the correct answers in the exam. We hope that, by this time, you can find the best suit for you. Nurture your passion and keep capturing moments.
On an ending note, we personally recommend you to buy:
Impressive build quality, a long-lasting battery life, a reputable brand and a high-quality image output. This DSLR camera is the total package. Highly recommended if it fits your budget.
Last updated on 2023-03-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API